Just as learning does not end when school is out, neither does a child’s need for good nutrition.
As part of the USDA Summer Food Service Program, the Door County YMCA will once again be providing free meals to children all summer long. This program is made possible by generous contributions from the City of Sturgeon Bay, United Way of Door County, Sturgeon Bay Schools, Boys & Girls Club of Door County, Door County Public Health Department, UW Extension, and P.A.T.H..
New this year: meals will be served all over the city using mobile sites. Any child aged 18 and under can show up at one of seven open sites for a daily free meal (Monday through Friday unless otherwise specified). There are no income requirements or registration. The locations and times of all food service sites are as follows:
- YMCA Sturgeon Bay Program Center (June 10 – August 30) from 11:30-12:15 pm.
- Sawyer School (June 24 – August 23) from 11:15-11:35 am.
- Otumba Park (June 17 – August 15), Bur not on Fridays, from 11:30-12:00 pm.
- Bay Hill Apartments (June 10 – August 30) on 613 N 12th Ave. across from the playground from 12:15-12:30 pm.
- Alabama Street Apartments (June 10 – August 30) from 11:15-11:30 am.
- Amity Field (June 10 – August 30) N 7th Ave & Florida Street, across from Sunset View Apt. from 11:45-12:00 pm.
- Sandhill Trailer Park (June 10 – August 30) on N 14th Ave, across from Bonnie Brook Gardens from 12:45-1:00 pm.
Or visit www.whyhunger.org/findfood to locate sites using an online map.
[embedplusvideo height=”281″ width=”500″ standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/aN2tAAWNkJw?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=aN2tAAWNkJw&width=500&height=281&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep9802″ /]
This is an wonderful opportunity for the youth of the Sturgeon Bay community to enjoy a nutritious, balanced meal every day. Volunteers are critically needed all summer to help serve meals and supervise children. Please, contact Madelyn DePrey or Samantha Nielson at the Y 920.743.4949 to help make this service possible for our youth.